In Rhodes, football is a very popular and widespread.
Since the beginning of the 20th century there have been many clubs developing football at a national level with outstanding results
Today, there are four local categories which the local Football Association continues to develop.
The most distinguished professional football teams in Rhodes are Diagoras, which was founded ,in 1902, and, Rhodes, which was founded, in 1968. There are also womens football teams that participate in the National Championship.
There are several football pitches throughout the island, the largest and most organized being the Diagoras Municipal Stadium
The Diagoras Stadium is located just 1km from the city centre of Rhodes. It has recent historic significance as it was built in 1930, by the Italian Occupation authorities and it was named, ‘Arena Del Sole’.
It serves as the Headquarters of both Diagoras and Rhodes, and has hosted many international competitions and national Championship Games.
The facility offers:
- A football pitch with natural grass
- Changing rooms, showers, 5+5, WC
- Press room, offices and internet connection
- Warehouses, training equipment
- 3500 seats, 600 of them in a covered platform
- lighting for night matches.
At the southern side of the Stadium there is a 75 m x 45 m training field with natural grass. There is also lighting for night training.
There are many football pitches on the island suitable for both training and matches. Most are a short distance from hotels, restaurants, taverns, traditional villages, beaches, attractions and archaeological sites.
Football pitches with natural grass
that offer an opportunity to host training sessions are the Municipal Stadiums of:
Football pitches with artificial turf
- Kalithies, which also has a training area.
- Ialyssos, the Oikonomidio Stadium.
- Maritsa and Paradisi, at the Municipality of Petaloudon.
- Archipolis, at the Municipality of Afantou.
- Embona, at the Municipality of Atavyros.
are the ones at:
- Ilioupouli, at the Kallipateria Athletic Centre, in the Municipality of Rhodes
- Koskinou, Psinthos, Kalithies, in the Municipality of Kalithea
- Kremasti, in the Municipality of Petaloudon
- Genadi and Vati, in the Municipality of South Rhodes
- National Cup Games, National Championship First Division and matches of the Greek National team, NatWest Island Games XII Rhodes 2007 (www.rhodes2007.info).