Sailing and Windsurfing sports are housed at the Nautical Club of Rhodes, founded in 1947. All the necessary facilities for complete preparation are available. The equipment are in excellent condition and were acquired,in 2007.
- Lazer STD, RDL 4, 7, and for windsurfing R5, Neil Pryde type.
- For sailing, there is a laser track with calm waters, a short distance from the facility.
- The facility also has changing rooms, showers, WC, gym, storage areas, a ramp and personnel for assistance and repairs.
- There is also an area available for meetings with telephone and internet access and a coffee shop for refreshments and light meals. The facility includes an open air 25m, 8 lane pool.
The Nautical Club of Rhodes
is centrally located, close to the City Hall, the Aquarium, and the Marina.
The Open Sea Nautical Club of Rhodes
, was founded in 1989. It contributes considerable time to development of sailing in Rhodes and amongst its activities is the annual organization of the Sailing boat Skippers training course. The OSNCR, is housed in a 620 sqm building of traditional architecture at the coastal Zefyros area, in the city of Rhodes. The building also has a 200 seats meeting room.
In Rhodes, there are many types of sailing boats for hire. Windsurfing
is very popular in Rhodes and there are organized facilities of various types around the island. Due to well organized facilities and excellent climatic conditions , the gulf of Ixia and the beaches of Ialyssos and Prassonissi, are consiered a surfers paradise.
From April to Oct, the winds on the island tend to be in a north-west to west direction and are know locally as, ‘Meltemi’, and are generally around 12 knots. At all other times, the winds are generally in a south to west direction. The gulf of Ixia and the beach of Ialyssos are close to the Diagoras International Airport and are considered as two of the best organized areas on the island, for tourists. In the area there are many hotels of all categories, amongst them some of the best 5* hotels on the island, restaurants and shops, to suit all tastes.
In the area of Prassonissi, there are traditional villages with rooms to rent and small hotels and restaurants, whilst in the Kiotari area, 10km away, there are many organized resort hotels and beaches.
- Sailing: Laser and Optimist Regional Championships, International Sailing Races such as the annual Aegean Regatta and Channel Regatta in June, and the Rhodes Cup in July, NatWest Island Games XII Rhodes 2007 (www.rhodes2007.info).
- Windsurfing: National Championships 98, 99, NatWest Island Games XII Rhodes 2007 (www.rhodes2007.info), International Windsurfing Competitions, formula and free style, which are organized regularly.